Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Adventures in Home Learning: Episode 4


4/15/2020

The age old war continues between this is a teachable moment and but I just want to get it done.

I’ve been pleased to find the munchkin reading more. She’s discovered anime and fallen in love with the graphic novels. It’s not my thing but I prefer it to her watching videos all the time.

Last week was kind of petering out on the work front. She’d reached the end of the packet her teacher had sent home at the beginning of things. Of course, last week was supposed to be Easter vacation but I didn’t want her to just sink into her videos so I kept her doing her routine each day – a little math, a little reading, some exercise, some piano, etc. She ended up drawing llamas.

Over the weekend I tried to get into the Easter spirit of things. We made a coconut flour cake on Saturday together and colored Easter eggs. I got her started, having her measure out the vinegar and food dye then quizzing her on what color combinations make what colors, then let her go at it with the eggs. 


Then we made homemade individual pizzas, always a favorite in our house, and let her pick a movie – The Greatest Showman.

Sunday was Easter and it was pretty simple here in our house. I set up a Zoom meeting and sent invitations so my mother and siblings could all sit down to dinner together. It worked out pretty well, there was only a little bit of, “What? I can’t hear you.” It seems the microphone on my computer only picks up when you’re right in front of it.

I took Monday off, mostly, and spent some time with the munchkin. She taught me to play “Wizard Chess” and I taught her to play Jax. We also made chocolate chip scones together. (Personally I thought they were lacking something, maybe vanilla.)

We started Google classroom today. It’s an interesting conundrum when you have a little one. They read something. Did you understand it? “Yes.” But did she really? It went pretty well, though. There were several “I can’t figure it out,” moments with Math but she really could, when she took the time.

After spending the morning on that, she was ready to settle back into her videos but I had her get a little activity in then, a bit later, she got up and was dancing around to music and singing along. I was ecstatic with that. Movement and singing? Heck yeah!

Here’s hoping the novelty of the Google classroom doesn’t wear off too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment