Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Adventures in Home Learning: Episode 2



Hi Folks – 

Well, the seeds are taking off, but the novelty of “home learning” has worn off for the munchkin. We were watching a science experiment video from my library and she was fascinated! Until Miss Abby started explaining the science behind it. Munchkin turned away, saying, “I don’t wanna know the science, I just want to have fun!”

I admit I’m struggling a bit with this one. She’s still making her list in the morning, but when she is done with the tasks on it, she wants to be done for the day. Should I let her have the rest of the time free because she has finished her work, or should I insist that this means there is time to learn something else and she cannot watch videos? 

Frankly, I don’t have time to chase her around insisting she LEARN. And I can’t ask her to help me when I have to focus on things I need to do for work. I feel like everything is run, run, run, between doing what I need to for work and doing what we need to keep her occupied and learning. 

I think there has to be some balance between there being a normal school day and no learning at all, because things are not normal, and that’s stressful on a little kid.

One of the few things the munchkin asked for since this whole thing started was a McDonald’s Shamrock shake, so we went to McDonald's drive through. I was all set to pour it into a different cup to hand her, but they aren't doing shakes. Disappointed little girl. I offered a homemade one, but she said it wouldn’t be the same. Then we went to the local farm store for dairy staples, and I wouldn’t let her go in with me like she usually does. Things are different.

The munchkin seemed to be handling it all well, but then one night she started talking about the railing upstairs making her nervous because it wasn’t safe. I’m getting the sense of some displaced fears here. The virus is too near and scary so instead she is talking about the railing. Then she half woke as I was leaving her room and was very upset because she said she couldn’t talk. I assured her she was talking and I could hear her. That seemed to help, but twenty minutes later she was wide awake and in my bedroom.

Things I have learned about my child by being home more – we got a piano in the house last fall and she can already play simple tunes. I had no idea! I also learned she loves dragons crossed with a nine-tail fox. (And we learned that the nine-tail fox is a Kitsune in Japanese mythology.)

So my plan is still to ease into things. We’ll continue this week with what we’re doing, adding some different tasks. Then next week I’m going to add a bit more to her daily schedule – a paragraph journal entry every day, and something else she can do on her own. I’m hoping the rain will ease and we can get out a bit more.

Happy home learning!



No comments:

Post a Comment