Friday, September 25, 2020

Book Review: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie

 


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

by Sherman Alexie

Since Banned Books Week is September 27 through October 3rd, our book club decided to read banned books this month. I started looking through lists, which are long and varied, and quickly found one I’ve been meaning to read for a while – The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

Warning: There are spoilers in the second half of this review, but I don’t believe they will take away from your enjoyment of the book. However, I will let you know when the spoilers are about to start.

I was under the mistaken belief that it was a biography, but quickly realized it was a novel. However, when I read the material at the end from the author, I found the book is largely based on his real experiences. Seems like it’s part-time fiction and part-time non-fiction.

As I was explaining to my husband the other night, just because something shows up in non-fiction, doesn’t mean it isn’t fictional literature. Good fiction also makes the reverse true as well, just because it is fiction doesn’t mean there isn’t a whole lot of truth in a book.

Arnold Spirit is the main character and he’s a goofy looking little guy, by his own statement, who was born with too much spinal fluid in his brain that had to be vacuumed out. He survived the surgery but did have some brain damage that created some anomalies in his body. Forty-two teeth is one anomaly that he claims was caused by this. One eye is near-sighted and one eye far-sighted, so he wears thick lop-sided glasses. He also had seizures regularly for the first few years of his life. Then there was the stutter and the lisp.

The author paints this picture in the first person with a huge dose of self-deprecating humor for Arnold. You can’t help but love this 14-year-old who is so funny right off the bat.

Then he sucker punches you with something sad, but often told in a matter-of-fact way. It’s an emotional roller coaster to be sure, but it’s Arnold’s life, and maybe was Sherman’s life? It gets a little confusing, so we’ll stick with Arnold.

Arnold draws cartoons which appear in the book. “I think the world is a series of broken dams and floods, and my cartoons are tiny little lifeboats.”

Arnold lives on the reservation in Spokane. This is definitely a 14-year-old boy so imagine everything that goes with that is in this book. I imagine that may be why the book was banned in some places, but it isn’t gratuitous or overly specific, just mentioned.

Arnold also imagines what his parents would be if they had the same opportunities people off the reservation have. “Given the chance, my father would have been a musician.” His father is an alcoholic who goes on benders and disappears on the family, but he’s also there for a lot of important things and totally supports Arnold. Arnold appreciates him for everything he is able to do and doesn’t seem to hold against him what he isn’t able to be. It’s quite a forgiving and amazing dynamic. For example, his father, while on a bender, saves a five-dollar bill for Christmas, and Arnold knows how hard that must have been.

Then one of Arnold’s teachers tells him that in order to succeed he needs to leave the reservation. “Jeez, it was a lot of pressure to put on a kid. I was carrying the burden of my race, you know? I was going to get a bad back from it.” But he makes up his mind to go to Reardan, the rich, white farm town school that “sits in the wheat fields exactly twenty-two miles away from the rez.”

***Spoilers Below***

It isn’t easy, transportation isn’t reliable, and the people on the rez feel like he has abandoned them, but Arnold is smart and he makes it work. Life goes on, and there are many lessons to be found from it.

He goes up against Rowdy in basketball, which he is surprisingly good at. There’s a basketball game where he gets a concussion then one where he defeats his best friend Rowdy who is on the other team, and at the end of the game, when he should be celebrating, he looks at the defeated team from the rez and feels like shit because, that was all they had, and he had taken it from them with his rich white friends.

His sister runs away and gets married, then dies in a fire. His grandmother gets hit by a drunk and dies. His godfather Eugene is killed by his friend Bobby in a drunken fight over the last drink a bottle of wine. Then Bobby hangs himself with a bedsheet.

“I blamed myself for all of the deaths. I had cursed my family. I had left the tribe, and had broken something inside all of us, and I was now being punished for that. No, my family was being punished.”

Then he goes back to school and a teacher is incredibly rude to him, and the entire class gets up one by one and drops their book on the floor and walks out in protest.  “It all gave me hope. It gave me a little bit of joy.”

He starts making lists of things that give him joy.

Like I said, this is a roller coaster ride, and it was over way too fast. I highly recommend it.

This book is so sad, and so funny. Through it all, the teacher takes you inside the story and makes you feel it instead of just telling it to you which makes a great book.

“When it comes to death, we know that laughter and tears are pretty much the same thing.”


No comments:

Post a Comment