Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Adventures in Home Learning: Episode 25

 


We’ve had a soft start to the school year in our house.

Friday was our first official day of instruction. My daughter logged in and had only two very simple assignments. It was a good thing because we’ve already run into a little dissension.

The school asked that the worksheets be done in ink then a picture be taken to upload. With my daughter, that is a recipe for disaster. A mistake that couldn’t be erased would send her into a tizzy, so I told her to do them in pencil then go over them in pen. My husband didn’t see the necessity of going over them in pen. My thinking is that one, the school asked for it to be in pen, and two, it may be legible in pencil but if the teacher has to look at multiples in pencil, and less than exemplary hand writing, that could be eye straining.

The limited assignments on the first day were helpful for getting us familiar with the process of taking pictures and uploading the assignments. I also had her do some reading and she did some coloring.

It’s a bit of a tradition in our house to go out to my daughter’s favorite Chinese buffet on the first day of school. This year, I picked up dessert at a local bakery for the first time, and then picked up takeout Chinese. It was a lovely way to end the evening and my daughter gave it a big thumbs up.

I am enjoying the fuller use of the Google Classroom this year. The app on my phone is particularly useful in tracking what assignments she has due and what might be missing. Unfortunately, it cannot intuit whether she turned in the correct assignment.

I got home Monday afternoon and she told me, “I got all my work done by noon!”

That’s great, I thought. We’ll go with that for now. I’ll be adding in some more work to keep her busy, such as free reading, learning a foreign language, and maybe recorder or piano practice.

This morning, however, while I was home, when it came to Science she told me, “But I did this assignment yesterday!”

I looked it over and found she had done the vocabulary word definition she was supposed to, but on a separate piece of paper instead of the worksheet. Then she had forged ahead with the paragraph she was supposed to write today. I told her it was fine, she was ahead of the curve, but now I’m concerned because I didn’t take the time to read the actual response before I left, as the school asked us to do. If she hadn’t watched the right video yet, could she have answered the question correctly? I will have to check it tonight.

Then, she was having trouble figuring out which worksheet she should do for Math because they were on lesson 2, but she never did lesson 1’s worksheet. “We found the worksheet in her math book,” my husband told me. No, they found a review sheet and assumed it was the worksheet, even though all the worksheets are paper clipped together, and labeled.

“It’s okay,” I told her, “just do it now, and put it in.” Hopefully the teacher will still accept it. It’s early days.

There’s definitely a learning curve here, but I have full confidence we’ll get there. I’m sure there will also be tougher assignments, and easier ones. I think the important thing is to take it one day at a time.

I think it’s also important to keep encouraging her that she can do this work. On Friday she told me, “I don’t know what to do, I need help!” I went over and stood next to her while she read it again and figured it out herself. No help from Mom was actually needed, just a little more patience on her part.

I am reminded of a quote I’ve seen in memes, ascribed to Kimberly Jones Pothier – “Don’t let them pull you into their storm, pull them into your peace.”

That’s my goal this year, to remain calm, assure her she can do the work, and let her figure it out, only stepping in when necessary.

Maybe also to help her get a little more organized. I helped her find her folders, but the papers have not yet made it into them. I’m also thinking it might benefit her to write down what her assignments are first thing in the morning on a little chalk board, or dry erase board, so she can wipe them out when she has turned them in.

Over all, I’m pretty happy with the way things are going.

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment