Friday, May 15, 2020

Book Review: A Man Called Ove


A Man Called Ove
by Fredrik Backman

I'm shocked that I haven't reviewed this book here already. I loved it!

At first glance, this sounds like a morbid story. Either that or a moral story about depression. But it isn't treated that way. It's a fantastic story with a rich vein of humor running through an incredibly moving story.

Perhaps it is the Swedish point of view that makes it so different. I was glad that I listened to it in audio because I certainly wouldn't have known how to say the main character's name, and knowing gives it a very different feel.

Ove (Oo-vah) just seems like a cantankerous old man at first but as you learn more about the events that shaped him and his heartaches, you can't help rooting for him. He seems to be done with life, but life isn't done with him.

Ove lives in a small community with a variety of characters but he is keeping to himself when the story begins. He also has every intention of committing suicide. We don't know why at first. When a family moves in next door, events seem intent on thwarting his attempts at every turn, often in humorous ways.

Ove gradually finds there are things he needs to do before he dies, and he is drawn back into the lives of those around him. He doesn't want to help them, but he simply can't stand incompetence, and often he can't stand cruelty to others either.

It was just beautifully written. At every turn, it opened up more of the story and a different perspective. It is one of the best books I've ever read and I can't wait to read more by the author.

I did watch the movie later but it simply didn't hold a candle to the book. I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment