Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Adventures in Home Learning: Episode 10




Some of my friends are concerned with the CDC guidance for schools reopening and here I am, wondering how I can get my my daughter to , willingly, shred papers I meant to burn into a bucket so we can turn them into paper logs for the wood stove this fall.

Yesterday, she helped with planting a kitchen garden. I’m afraid I was a little top down instead of engaging her in the planning of it. I simply told her how I had planned it and why then gave her small tasks to accomplish. She planted the seeds for 4 out of 13 plots. (She is a very methodical child, I was much more haphazard in my planting to get it done.) I had her fetch and carry seeds I had started and the watering can. In the end, we have a garden planted with pumpkin, sunflowers, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, radishes, carrots, spinach, lettuce, wax beans, cherry tomatoes, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, and yellow summer squash. Tin pans were strung up to scare off birds and used kitty litter put down a mole hole. We’ll get marigolds to go around the garden when we can.

If you haven’t seen it yet, the CDC has issued some guidance for schools to reopen. (I’ll put the link at the bottom.) That’s not going to happen this school year where I am so I’ve kind of taken it off my mental radar. Honestly, I figure why borrow trouble? I mean, the schools are going to look at it and come up with a plan. There will be time to decide whether we think those plans are sufficient.

Friends who home school are planning to get their supplies because they figure there will be a lot more people home schooling next year. For my part, I don’t really see that as an option. I’ve taught. Writing lessons plans and actually teaching my daughter cannot coincide with working a full-time job. I would have to enroll her in some kind of online school, if it came to that.

But I think that is jumping the gun. I believe that our school district will come up with a reasonable plan, that is somewhere between the ideal CDC guidance, and reality. If the school requires she wear a mask to school, we’ll come up with something she can stand to wear. I mean, it may seem like a horrible thing to ask, but the reality is that kids are highly adaptable, and we’ve seen kids in other countries do so during outbreaks before. Our kids can handle it. I think part of the key may be not making a big deal out of it.

Also, if some kids start homeschooling, and some kids go to online schools, that will make the social distancing in the regular school that much easier.

Next week we go in for bench marking, and before we know it school will be over until fall!

Now, how am I going to keep her off the computer most of the day in the summer, while I work? Ugh. Time to start a list, starting with shredding paper for wood stove paper logs.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment