Friday, May 3, 2024

Storymusing: Bogs, Brews, and Banshees by Rowan Dillon

 


Bogs, Brews, and Banshees: A Skye O’Shea Paranormal Cozy Mystery

by Rowan Dillon

This was a great, light read – just what I look for in a cozy mystery.

Skye O’Shea is an American nurse having a hard time finding a new position so when her gran sadly dies, and leaves her some property in Ireland, Skye flies off to her grandmother’s home, nervous but ready to take on a new adventure far away from her troubles. (Including the depressing failure of her previous marriage and the interference of her ex-husband.)

Sadly, but fortuitously, she has inherited her gran’s pub and guesthouse. Of course, there’s lots of work to be done, but before she can even begin, a dead body appears in one of her outbuildings and strange things begin to occur as Skye learns about her surroundings and the supernatural goings on.

Skye receives her grandmother’s car keys from the solicitor in Dublin. “The back logo said Suzuki Splash. I’d never even heard of that model. Perhaps it aspired to be a car someday. When it grew up.”

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and couldn’t wait to open it each day to read a little more. I liked the aspect of learning how the magic in this world works along with Skye as she is introduced to the strange happenings and realizes that the stories her grandmother used to tell her were not so made up.

Skye has always experienced the world a little differently. “I’d always heard bits of music in my head. However, I’d also long since learned not to mention it to anyone. Same with seeing colors on people. My weird brain often played tricks on me.”

The characters speech patterns and descriptions of Ireland transported me on a vacation to the Emerald Isle, along with the traditional tales and folk lore described in the book. The cat in the book, Faelan, is a bit unusual as well, which I enjoyed.

Of course, there is some unpleasantness, or it wouldn’t be a murder mystery, but it’s in keeping with a cozy mystery.

There’s even a little spark of possible future romance. It promises to be an enjoyable series with lots of potential for future developments.


No comments:

Post a Comment