Friday, April 2, 2021

Book Review: Ready Player Two

 


Ready Player Two

by Ernest Cline

There were many things I enjoyed in this book, but I can’t say that the first 30% of the book held any of them.

I realize that the author was giving the story that happened between the first book and the current one, building the bridge, but it felt like the story didn’t even begin until 30% of the way in. From my perspective, the first thirty percent of the book could have been seriously condensed, at least in half. And, honestly, there seemed a lot more telling than showing throughout the book. It just didn’t seem as immediate or make me feel invested.

I was so excited to get this book, and maybe that’s part of the problem. Sometimes we hype things up in our mind, like a movie, then it simply can’t live up to our expectations. In the end I did enjoy the book, but it took a while to get into it.

There were MANY parts I did enjoy, such as the John Hughes films portion. This harkened back to the 80s nostalgia of the first book, as well as the planet of the artist formerly known as Prince. I really appreciated the development of Aech’s story there. The thread of Kira and Ogden Morrow’s love throughout the book was lovely.

I was a little surprised by the use of J.R.R. Tolkien’s works, because it wasn’t an 80’s creation, but it was so incredibly important in the development of D&D and then the online gaming that grew out of that, that it really made sense.

If you enjoyed the first book, then this one is worth reading, but you may have to slog through the first part to get to the good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment