Friday, January 8, 2021

Book Review: Battle Ground by Jim Butcher

 

Battle Ground

by Jim Butcher

I’ve heard a lot about this book from various people, but let it slide in one ear and out the other, mostly taking heed that it was an emotional book to read during the midst of a pandemic, especially if one were attached to the characters. So, I waited. I wasn’t ready to subject myself to that.

I finally decided to read the book after Christmas.

“They say civilization is a thin veneer over barbarism. Chicago stood waiting for the first tearing sound.”

It is well written. The descriptions are solid and literary. It brings together a host of people that Harry knows, both as allies and adversaries, into this one pitched battle in Chicago as a Titan declares war on them.  

It definitely is well suited to its title, Battle Ground. I’m afraid I don’t really enjoy scenes of battle or wars, or even fighting these days, so perhaps this was never going to appeal to me the way it might others. The descriptions are very clear without being overly gory, which seems like a feat when writing a battle. I felt like he focused more on emotional toll it takes.

I got into this series as more of a fantasy based mystery series. That being said, I do very much appreciate some of the twists in the stories and some character facets that I was not anticipating. Obviously, I can’t say more than that.

I felt the pacing was a little too slow overall. It could have been tightened. The book is 418 pages, which is not at all egregious for a fantasy novel, and I can’t pinpoint something that should have been cut on one reading, but it felt like a lot of waiting. I do acknowledge that with the warm perspective Butcher writes, a battle creates a lot for both the character and the reader to process.

It hints, rather broadly and strongly, at facets of Harry’s character that we are not yet privy to, and won’t be for a book or two yet.

There is humor, of course.

“You are a highly creepy little person,” I said.

“Thank you,” Lacuna said gravely.

And yet I felt a distance in the story. When people die, even an important character or two, I didn’t feel it as much. There was really only one line that brought tears to my eyes. To be sure, there were philosophical observations that were interesting and/or rang true for me.

I wouldn’t say this was the best book in the series, but it was a solid installment. I’m looking forward to the next one. I simply couldn’t desert Harry at this point. He’s perfectly imperfect, and the situations he is put in are very human though they deal with magic and fantastical creatures.

If you’re a fan of the Dresden Files, you’ve probably already read this book. If you haven’t, I highly recommend starting earlier in the series. This really isn’t something you want to come into midstream. You could, but the character and relationships develop so much over time that many people go back and re-read occasionally. The writing is highly competent and involving from the beginning but the author really develops his craft as time goes on. I will always recommend these books for anyone who enjoys urban fantasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment