Friday, September 17, 2021

Review: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard


 Arcadia

by Tom Stoppard            

I was perusing the shelves, looking for something to read for this week’s book review, when I came across the play Arcadia by Tom Stoppard. The title appealed to me. I’ve seen it referenced several times. (I’ve actually read a totally different science fiction novel by the same name that was very good.)

I took the volume and went to look up what it was really all about. It sounded interesting, Written in the nineteen nineties, it covers two different time periods. The main character seemed to be a young woman who was very interested in math and physics. But the poet, Lord Byron, was integral to the story as well. I was intrigued.

It begins with 13-year-old Thomasina being tutored by 22-year-old Septimus when she asks him a rather improper question, “What is carnal embrace?” He puts her off with a sideways explanation, “Carnal embrace is the practice of throwing one’s arms around a side of beef.” I admit that made me chuckle.

Upon further questioning, it seems she has heard the servants gossiping about seeing one of the ladies of the house engaged with someone who is not her husband.

The play proceeds quickly with witty repartee and various double entendres, not unlike some of Shakespeare’s comedy of errors.  

One of the most interesting things about this play is how the action goes back and forth between this earlier time and present time, but in the same room and the props of both time periods remain throughout the play, simply ignored by the characters in their own time period.

We jump forward in time and meet several characters, most substantially Hannah who is writing a book about the Hermit of Sidley Park and Bernard who arrives with his own ideas to research.

As with many period pieces, and from a different culture, there’s rather a lot that goes right over my head, I’m afraid, but it’s a fascinating combination of relationships, math, science, literature, history, and philosophy. Things that happened in the past are echoed in the future and excavated.

I’m not sure it’s right to call it science fiction, but it does play wonderfully with some of those themes. I would definitely like to see this performed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment