Thursday, May 28, 2020

Book Review: The Secret, Book, and Scone Society by Ellery Adams



The Secret, Book, and Scone Society
by Ellery Adams

Here is a mystery that’s a little a little bit of a chick lit, and a little bit of magical realism – all things I love.

I hit on this book because the main character had been burned and I was embarking on writing a story where the main character had been also. I wanted to see how the author dealt with the issue of scars.
Nora Pennington has opened a small bookstore in Miracle Springs, North Carolina, and she has a particular talent for picking the books that people need most in order to heal from the hurts of the world. 

People come to this town for the spa and the hot springs cure, but if that doesn’t work, they may find themselves at the bakery or bookstore.

Now, Nora has come across someone she really feels the need to help, but before she can, he is murdered. Four people are brought together by this tragedy. They form the Secret, Book, and Scone Society.

(One is the town baker, who has an even more mystical talent, in baking “comfort” scones that have just the flavors to bring comfort to a person.)

The premise was lovely, and I enjoyed the book, but it didn’t quite live up to the promise. I’d give it a 3.5. I’ve not read anything else by the author so I can’t say whether this is the norm for her, and opinions on Goodreads varied. I saw a few 5 star reviews for it, but the average on Goodreads was below 4 so I don’t feel like I’m being unduly harsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment