Friday, May 30, 2014

Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson Series) by Darynda Jones




Sixth Grave on the Edge
By Darynda Jones

Well, I’ve been in heaven the past week. First, Darynda Jones released her latest novel in the Charley Davidson series, Sixth Grave on the Edge, and I inhaled that in about two and a half days. As a side note, I would like to say how much I appreciate the Amazon Kindle’s ability to dim the screen so I could read while my sick child dozed on my lap.

Then Jim Butcher released the latest in the Harry Dresden Chronicles, Skin Game, and I am currently enjoying that tremendously. It was a particularly welcome distraction yesterday while I was waiting for two new tires to be put on my car because I got a roofing nail in the sidewall of one.  How does that even happen?

Anyway, the thing that I love about both of these characters is that even though the series is ongoing, the main characters continue to grow and change. There are plenty of surprises! I’m going to try not to give anything away, but the last surprise in Sixth Grave on the Edge rocked my socks. I absolutely LOVED it!

This was a bit lighter and more fun than some have been, though there are some pretty scary bits. Lots of time with Reyes with this one, some more background on him, and some interesting subterfuge with her father. There is definitely something going on with her dad.

I can never decide if Charley is really good at self-delusion or if her ADHD just makes it easier for her to skip over some things. I don’t think it will be really giving anything away to say that her Jeep, Misery, didn’t make it through the last novel.

“But at least Misery was okay. Like, really okay. It was weird. Her cough was gone. Her sluggish response time was no longer an issue. Her reluctance to wake up in the mornings as she sputtered in protest every time I tried to fire all engines was nonexistent.”

Hmmm… I wonder why?

Lots of interesting dead people popping up, like naked dead guy. I particularly enjoyed it when his wife showed up looking for him. Aunt Lil, of the blue hair and floral muumuu, is always a joy.  I love her idea of becoming a partner with Charley in the investigation business, though it didn’t seem to go anywhere in this book. Of course, young Angel is summoned up to help, though there is a big surprise waiting there!

Remember the old saying, “It’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye?” Yeah, that seems to apply to Charley’s scheme to get Uncle Bob to finally ask Cookie out on a date.

One of the things I like about Darynda Jones writing is that there’s a balance. One minute you’re galloping along at a good clip, laughing joyously, then she hits you with the serious and you feel the character’s pain. That’s life. Then you have a mission and some humor to lighten the load. Well done.

I’d recommend these books to anyone who enjoys a good mystery, can go with the supernatural angle, and doesn’t blush too terribly easily. As always, you can get this at the library, but I couldn’t wait. I got it through Amazon Kindle and then added the audio, which is perfectly read by Lorelei King.



No comments:

Post a Comment