Monday, February 20, 2012

First Grave on the Right ~ Darynda Jones



First Grave on the Right
by Darynda Jones

Is there anything better than a really good, snarky, heroine? One who gets pummeled and just keeps getting up? Meet Charlotte "Charley" Davidson, private investigator and grim reaper. Not just a grim reaper, but the portal to heaven. People actually have to go through her.

Add a ghostly lover and protector along with three dead lawyers and you get the perfect blend of paranormal romantic suspense with high levels of humor.

There's so much going on in this novel that the mystery of who killed the three lawyers gets a little lost in the mix at times, but you don't really miss it, and it does get solved in the end. The quips fly fast and furious and a plethora of intriguing characters could get a little confusing at times for readers, but I enjoyed them all.

The romance with the unknown entity gives just enough promise to tantalize but never quite carries through. (This one will slowly unfold as the series goes on.) It's a flash of heat that turns into a good, long, slow burn.

Charley isn't all snark, she has a decided soft spot for the people left behind when someone reaches an untimely demise. Charley is reminiscent of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum but Jones takes this tough girl P.I. idea and makes it fresh.

When I first read this book last fall, I couldn’t wait to read the second book. Now I can’t wait to get my hands on the third book, which has recently come out. If you're an audio book reader, this is a great series with a spot on performance by the reader. Her gravelly voice depicts Charley perfectly, as well as a range of other characters.

I can't honestly say whether I prefer the hard copy of the book or the audio, but either way I can say I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment